Davidson Town Day is this Saturday, May 7, 2016, from 10am to 3pm on the Davidson Village Green. The day includes booths and activities on the green – from a dunking booth to the traditional “cake walk” – as well as a half-marathon and 5K race, a firetruck on Main Street and a volunteer cleanup at Lake Davidson.
“This is our 46th annual Town Day, so we’re excited for citizens to come out and celebrate our wonderful town,” Health Living and Wellness Supervisor Leslie Willis said in a press release. “We hope everyone will enjoy the events we have planned.”
Town Day began as a day of service, and the town continues that tradition this year. Volunteers are invited to join a lakeside cleanup at Lake Davidson Nature Preserve. And Davidson Parks & Recreation is offering suicide prevention training.
Here’s the official schedule and other information from the Town of Davidson.
Join us for Town Day from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 7, 2016 on the town green. We encourage all citizens to walk or ride a bike (May is National Bike Month) to the green. We’ll have police officers stationed at key intersections to ensure safety. Ride your bike and park it in the ‘Bike Corral’ near the Town of Davidson’s booth.
- Once at the green you’ll enjoy:
- a cake walk,
- inflatables for kids,
- giant sand pile with sand toys,
- a dunking booth (our Town Manager Jamie Justice will be in the hot seat from 11:00 to 11:30 a.m.)
- scavenger hunts
- monkey bridge
- Lego Derby
- face painting
- photo booth with costumes
- carnival games
- Lake Norman Currents Canine Cover Dog Competition,
- music, entertainment, and food, and
- many booths featuring Davidson organizations.
TOWN OF DAVIDSON BOOTH
Visit the Town of Davidson’s booth to:
- see and ride the E.L.F. (the new parks and recreation vehicle),
- help us name the E.L.F.
- safely dispose of expired and unused pharmaceuticals,
- register for our Vial of Life program (ensure that first responders receive your medical information during an emergency)
- learn about the town’s pedestrian and bicyclist safety campaign, Watch For Me NC,
- learn about child safety and anti-bullying,
- meet McGruff the crime dog,
- register for the CharMeck Alerts system, and
- get information on the programs and summer camps offered by the parks and recreation department.
- Davidson fire department will have a truck on Main Street.
LAKE DAVIDSON CLEANUP
Volunteers are invited to help with a cleanup at Lake Davidson on Saturday from 9am to 1pm. Meet at the Lake Davidson Nature Preserve at 750 Jetton Street, behind Davidson Day School.
The Davidson Police and Parks & Recreation Departments are partnering to lead volunteers in the lakeside clean-up project. Please meet at the entrance of the preserve. We will divide volunteers into teams and provide litter grabbers, trash bags, and gloves.
To sign up, please visit signupgenius.com or just show up on Saturday!
For more information, please contact James Adams at email@example.com or 704-245-5732.
SUICIDE PREVENTION TRAINING
QPR (Question Persuade Refer) Training is being offered Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Meet at Davidson Parks & Recreation, 865 South St.
Just like CPR, QPR is an emergency response to someone in crisis and can save lives. The QPR mission is to reduce suicidal behaviors and save lives by providing innovative, practical, and proven suicide prevention training. You may register here:
SPARTAN HALF MARATHON AND 5K
Community School of Davidson has partnered with Davidson Town Day to bring a Half Marathon and 5K road racing event on May 7th, 2016.
The half marathon will begin at 8am and the 5K at 8:30am at the Davidson Town Green in downtown Davidson. Proceeds benefit CSD’s athletics booster club.
Register or find more information at http://racesonline.com/events/spartan-half-marathon-5k